Metro-Haul presence at ECOC 2018
The European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC) is one of the biggest industry conferences in Europe. Since the Metro-Haul project launch in 2017, this is the second opportunity for Metro-Haul to present its research outcomes in ECOC. Last year, during ECOC 2017, despite just three months after the project launch, the Metro-Haul project had nine conference contributions including one invited talk.
This year, the project has 18 presences, including one invited talk at the ECOC Exhibition. For details of the program, please refer ECOC 2018 event calendar page (https://metro-haul.eu/event/ecoc-2018/).
Andrew Lord, the Metro-Haul project manager and head of optical research at BT, is an invited speaker at one of the ECOC Exhibitions, “Market Focus”, presenting “Optical Metro Networks in a 5G World” in a morning session on 26th September.
You can meet many of Metro-Haul project members at the Demonstration Session (12:30 – 17:00, Thursday 27th Sep, at Hall 9), including Filippo Cugini (CNIT) as a co-chair. Here, Metro-Haul will have four demonstrations in total. Roberto Morro (TIM) provides the overview for one of the demos: “Automated End to End Carrier Ethernet Provisioning over a Disaggregated WDM Metro Network with a Hierarchical SDN Control and Monitoring Platform” in the previous blog.
There are eight technical scope areas in ECOC 2018, and many of Metro-Haul’s conference contributions are under the technical scope: ‘SC7 – Core, Metro, and Convergent Networks’:
- Presentation: “Connection Setup in Open Systems: Interfaces, Amplification, and Equalization” [Mo4D.2, 15:45 – 16:00] – By N. Sambo, Emilio Riccardi, Filippo Cugini from Telecom Italia (TIM), Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario Per Le Telecomunicazioni (CNIT)
- Presentation: “Filterless Optical WDM Metro Networks exploiting C+L Band” [Tu1D.5, 10:00 – 10:15] – By F. Paolucci, Robert Emmerich, Isaac Sackey, Luca Poti, Colja Schubert, Johannes Fischer, Filippo Cugini, from Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario Per Le Telecomunicazioni (CNIT) and Fraunhofer HHI
- Presentation: “Autonomic Transmission Through pre-FEC BER Degradation Prediction Based on SOP Monitoring” [Tu3D.2, 13:45-14:00] – By Mohammad Behnam Shariati, Fabien Boitier, Marc Ruiz, Patricia Layec, Luis Velasco, from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC) and Nokia Bell Labs (NBLF)
- Presentation: “Performance Assessment of Metro Networks based on Fast Optical Add-Drop Multiplexers under 5G Traffic Applications” [Tu4D.1, 15:30 – 15:45] – By Nicola Calabretta, Bitao Pan, Fulong Yan, X. (Xuwei) Xue from Technical University of Eindhoven (TUE)
- Presentation: “A Dynamic Transportation Platform for Metropolitan Networks Exploiting PON Technology and a Novel Control-Plane” [TuD3, 16:00-16:15] – By Evangelos Kosmatos, Chris Matrakidis, Andrew Lord from OpenLightComm and British Telecom (BT)
- Poster: “DuFiNet: A Flexible, High-Capacity and Cost-Effective Solution for Metropolitan Area Networks” [We2.56] – By Chris Matrakidis and Andrew Lord from OpenLightComm and British Telecom (BT)
- Poster: “ONOS MetroApp for Filtering Effect Assessment in Metro Optical Networks” [We2.60] – By A. Giorgetti and Filippo Cugini, from Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario Per Le Telecomunicazioni (CNIT)
- Poster: “An SDN Architecture for PON Networks Enabling Unified Management using Abstractions” [We2.64] – By Evangelos Kosmatos, Chris Matrakidis, from OpenLightComm
Metro-Haul’s presence is not limited to the aforementioned technical scope. In ‘SC3 – Digital Signal Handling Techniques for Optical Communication Systems’, Metro-Haul will present:
- Presentation: “Improved Perturbation-based Fiber Nonlinearity Compensation” [Tu1F.6, 10:15 – 10:30] – By Felix Frey, Robert Emmerich, Colja Schubert, Johannes Fischer from Fraunhofer HHI
- Poster: “PAM-4 Performance Optimization in Presence of Optical Amplification” [Tu2.22] – By F. Fresi and Luca Poti, from Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario Per Le Telecomunicazioni (CNIT)
In ‘SC6 – Datacentre and Computercom Networks’:
- Presentation: “Flexibility Assessment of the Reconfigurable OPSquare for Virtualized Data Center Networks Under Realistic Traffics“ [Tu4E.4, 16:15 – 16:30] – By Nicola Calabretta, X. (Xuwei) Xue, Fulong Yan, Bitao Pan from Technical University of Eindhoven (TUE)
- Presentation: “FOScube: a Scalable Data Center Network Architecture Based on Multiple Parallel Networks and Fast Optical Switches” [Tu4E.5, 16:30 – 16:45] – By Fulong Yan, X. (Xuwei) Xue, Bitao Pan, Xiaotao Guo, Nicola Calabretta from Technical University of Eindhoven (TUE)
In summary, during the Technical Conference, the project will have conference contributions with:
- 4 demonstrations
- 1 workshop,
- 8 presentations across 6 different sessions
- 5 poster sessions.
Meet Metro-Haul at ECOC 2018 in Rome!